SHAUNI McGREGOR FESTIVAL LEGACY
Shauni McGregor was an active and inspiring musician whose enthusiasm and passion for music-making in the community contributed to the Chipping Norton Festival become one of the nation’s most admired. Her dedication enabled so many people to participate in music and develop their skills, and her energy as festival committee member and chair, ensured these experiences were widely available and accessible. Shauni died of brain cancer in early 2021 and bequeathed a legacy fund to support the festival in ensuring her good work continues. The committee has pledged to use this gift to enable more people to develop their music in ways that she encouraged through her teaching, active participation and passionate leadership.
The 2023 festival will launch the Young Musician’s Recital class, offering a great opportunity for musicians age 18 and under to perform a contrasting short programme of their own choice to a live audience. The class in year one will be for Piano and Voice, though other classes will be permitted, and will emphasise the values and standards that she upheld for her pupils. Also new this year will be the awarding of the SHAUNI MCGREGOR FESTIVAL CUP to the most promising musician in the Festival Concert. A significant bursary will be attached for the recipient to use in pursuit of musical study, and the chance to return in 2024 to perform again.
LISTING DETAILS FOR THE YOUNG MUSICIANS’ RECITAL CLASS:
- Young Musicians’ Recital - Date: Thursday 16th March @ 6.30pm
- Time limit – between 4 and 8 minutes – minimum of two pieces – own compositions and improvisation accepted
- Performers must speak to the audience and announce their pieces, adding brief information if they wish
- No class entry fee
- Audience will be most welcome, at the standard entry price of £2. Free to paid up Friends of the Festival
- Priority for 2023 is Piano and Voice, but all entries welcome – a panel will select entries and applicants informed if oversubscribed (gives us the option of holding another day/time if oversubscribed??)
- No adjudicator